- The subject and grade level I will be teaching: Middle School – Science
- The standard and its source:
Futura school use NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards) for Science.
Info about the source- NGSS development :
The National Research Council (NRC), the National Science Teachers Association, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Achieve have completed a two-step process to develop the Next Generation Science Standards.
Step One: Getting the Science Right The NRC, the staff arm of the National Academy of Sciences, began by developing the A Framework for K–12 Science Education. The Framework was a critical first step because it is grounded in the most current research on science and science learning and identified the science all K–12 students should know. To undertake this effort, the NRC convened a committee of 18 individuals who are nationally and internationally known in their respective fields. …..
Step Two: States Developing Next Generation Science Standards In a process managed by Achieve, states led the development of K–12 science standards that are rich in content and practice and arranged in a coherent manner across disciplines and grades to provide all students an internationally-benchmarked science education. The NGSS are based on the Framework and will prepare students for college and careers. The NGSS were developed collaboratively with states and other stakeholders in science, science education, higher education, and industry….
The standard I decided to use for the unit :
Develop and use a model to describe the function of a cell as a whole and ways parts of cells contribute to the function.
[Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on the cell functioning as a whole system and the primary role of identified parts of the cell, specifically the nucleus, chloroplasts, mitochondria, cell membrane, and cell wall.]
[Assessment Boundary: Assessment of organelle structure/function relationships is limited to the cell wall and cell membrane. Assessment of the function of the other organelles is limited to their relationship to the whole cell. Assessment does not include the biochemical function of cells or cell parts.]
- Why this standard for developing the unit:
This standard is very close to my own expertise and I will feel more comfortable to work on pedagogical techniques already knowing content well. It is also very particular area, which can be assessed in measurable ways and can be presented in an various ways
- Proficiencies that indicate what students will be able to do when they finish this unit:
- Be able to identify parts of the cell, specifically the nucleus, chloroplasts, mitochondria, cell membrane and cell wall.
- Describe the cell functioning as a whole system.
- Know the primary role of the nucleus, chloroplasts, mitochondria, cell membrane, and cell wall
- Learning experiences / activities to help students meet the standard:
- Group project =creating cell model containing different parts (can be eatable model) / making notice of cell parts in lab book
- Playing cell game: sheppardsoftware.com/health/anatomy/cell/index.htm / marking right game answers on the provided diagram Standard
- Identifying cell structures during microscopic analysis of plant cells / drawing diagram of observed cell
- Assessments that will help to know students are meeting the standard:
- Presentation of cell model with indicated cell parts
- Notes in the lab book containing cell parts chart and drawing of cell observed during microscopy lab
- Quiz on cell and organelles functions